Posted May 11th, 2012 by Abby in London, England
As our last few days of the semester wind down, I thought I would reflect on my time here and share some advice for any of you thinking about going abroad. This is my second time and I know leaving is going to be really hard. I had such an amazing semester with the other students on the program as well as our fearless leaders, Mark and Jen. They seriously are amazing and I want their job. I’m sad to leave London and all the friends I made here, but also my English friends I have here. It’s gonna be a tearful goodbye thats for sure. I know when I left Spain, there were tears all day long. I at least have the comfort that I’ll be coming back in September for grad. school! I’m beyond exciting about that. I know I grew this semester and learned more about myself as a person. I’m graduating in exactly two weeks which is mildly terrifying, but I know that Central College and Central College Abroad has prepared me for the next step. I thought I’d make a list of things you must do while abroad.
1. Make friends from your host country.
2. Get out of your comfort zone at least once a week.
3. Do what the locals do. If that means getting some pub grub, going to a football match, or a cup of tea.
4. Take advantage of traveling in Europe. It’s an amazing beautiful place.
5. Get lost in your host city, without a map.
6. Don’t be afraid to grow, change, and be your try self. So many people say they find themselves while abroad.
7. Don’t for get to call mom and dad at least once a week. They like that )
8. Soak up as much of the culture as possible, try not to be super American, but you need to sometimes as well.
9. Don’t be afraid to admit what you love about your host country/city or what you hate about it.
10. HAVE A BLAST.
I’ve enjoyed blogging this semester and hope you have all enjoyed reading. I hope you are at least tempted to look at studying abroad and just go!!!! You won’t regret it. You’ll miss your friends and family, but they will be there when you get back. And you may miss out on a few things while you are gone. I missed my godson’s birth, but you will experience so much more than what you miss out on! Ask questions and see you abroad soon!