Internship Stuff

Posted June 14th, 2013 by Adel in Vienna, Austria

Wow! It’s been crazy here in Vienna. Everything is settling into a rhythm and my schedule feels like it’s made up of some very long days. (But I amOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA never bored.) In my last post I told you all about our CCA trips to Salzburg and I thought it might be time to tell you about all the stuff I spend my time doing IN Vienna.

I guess the best place is to start with what takes up the most of my time, which is my internship. I spend the first half of the week at my internship, totaling between 15 and 20 hours a week, spread through Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  My internship is slightly different than what everyone else is doing. I have a dual-internship where I spend half my time at the Naturpark Purkersdorf, and half my time at the Biosphere Reserve Management office. The days I spend at thOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAe Naturpark Purkersdorf begin bright and early with me catching the train to Purkersdorf at 8:12. I spend my morning helping the Naturpark Purkersdorf/ Sparbach office in the preparation and implementation of school tours and birthday parties at the two nature parks. Most of my time at the Naturpark is spent assisting my supervisor, Susanne, in anyway I can at the office. Sometimes we go on what I like to call „Abenteuer“ (or adventures) to the parks, or to meet with school directors, and government officials about potential future projects.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Most Wednesdays I am given the chance to sleep in, and get a ride into work from my supervisor, Christian, from the Biosphere Reserve Management office. There I have a desk and computer, where I spend many hours improving a multilingual online project. The project focuses on pairing school classes up from different Biosphere Reserves together, so students can learn about the Biosphere Reserve they live in and simultaneously teach their international partner class about it. But, my day does not always consist of sitting at a computer (THANK GOODNESS!!) Quite a few of my days at the Biosphere Reserve involve me joining educationalOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA tours at a Biosphere Reserve Partner, or visiting our current sustainability exhibition at the Wienerwald Museum.OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

For all of us here in Vienna participating in internships, our experiences have been amazingly unique thanks to the hard work of our directors, Ruth and Michaella. Not only have they been able to find internship possibilities compatible with our interests and majors, in my case they were also able to give me multiple options to choose from so that I would not feel  like I HAD to like the first one they found.

So, until next time:

lg Adel