Counting Blessings via España

Posted January 28th, 2014 by Kaitlyn in Granada, Spain

As I slowly start to adjust here, I become more and more amazed with the way God has been working in my life. I have seen his presence so much in the last week and a half, and cannot even begin to wrap my head around all that he is doing in me and through me. He is the reason I am here. He is the reason I am experiencing an opportunity that very few people will ever get to experience. He is the reason I am safe.

Sunday was a very hard day for me, as well as many others. I woke up and went to a beautiful cathedral with a few friends. I was amazed at how big, elegant, and detailed everything was, but felt very lost. Right after church, I went home. It was cold, but I was proud of myself for making it there and back ALL BY MYSELF! (Insert cheesy “I’m a big kid now” pull up commercial song here!) I had lunch with Rosa (my host mom), her 2 grandsons, and her son. It was great! I am slowly adjusting to their food and realizing what I have been missing out on for so long!

My friend Grace had messaged me that she was struggling as well, and shortly after, so did Ali. So, we decided to go get coffee . . . which actually turned into Burger King! Who knew what friends, laughter, pop, and ice cream could do for a person? Coming back home after that, my spirits were lifted and was ready to conquer the night. I was able to Skype Tony, his parents, and my parents. Rosa even got to meet my parents, even though she was so worried they would judge her since her hair wasn’t done! It was fun being a translator, and even more fun listening to her tell her kids and grandkids about how she has met so many people!

Monday was a new day to explore and enjoy the city. I have decided that Rosa caught the hint I like fruit, but maybe a little bit to much. For breakfast, I had a piece of toast and two bananas. In my sack lunch, I had a ham and cheese sandwich, along with two bananas, two oranges, and an apple. Then for supper, I had green beans, potatoes, and a pizza baguette, along with an orange and apple yogurt. I definitely am not complaining on the fruit, though. The fruit here is amazing.

After my day Sunday, I was kind of looking to find my purpose for being here. At the beginning of this journey, I questioned why I was here. I wanted to go home. I missed everything about home and can honestly say I did not want to be here anymore. But, now that things are going great, i.e. I have started to build great friendships with those in my program, I have built an unbelievable relationship with Rosa, and now am starting to become best friends with her 13 year old granddaughter, Lucia, I had decided to give it a shot. After reading my daily devotional, I came across this.

BLESSED TO BE A BLESSING:

Now the LORD had said to Abram: 

“Get out of your country, from your family and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you. I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing to those around you.”

Genesis 12:1-2

How could I not take that as a blessing from God after the day I had yesterday, where I questioned my reason for being here. As I said earlier, I can see God working in me daily. As I continued to read, I came across this: “Even if you’re experiencing tough times right now, you still have blessing to count and blessings to share. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR. So, as I conclude this post, I just want to thank each one of you, aka my blessings, for the continued prayers and support you have given me. I know I have so much to be thankful for. I am blessed. I am blessed because of God.